The following information was sent in an email to all participants on Wednesday 5/10. Some of the links may not work because they are linked directly to your registration profile in the RunSignUp system.
If you didn't already know, the 2017 Typhoon Texas Kids Triathlon is part of the 2017 USA Triathlon South Midwest Region's Youth Series. This means that not only do you have the confidence to know the race will be safe, sanctioned, and insured but that we follow a uniform set of event rules and regulations with other events in the USAT Youth Series. Click here to see more about our partnership with USAT as part of the South Midwest Region's Youth Series.
In order to ensure a safe and enjoyable race, we've put together a list of general event rules from USAT that we will be adhering to throughout the event. You can see a complete listing of the rules on our website by visiting http://www.typhoontexaskidstri.com/rules/.
In this email we'll cover some of the basics but please make sure you read and understand everything on the rules page. If you have any questions you can either contact us using the link at the bottom of this email or the Race Directors will be available for a live Q&A session at the Race Site Walk-Through and Course Q&A this Saturday.
COURSE SAFETY ("RESPECT THE COURSE")
We take your child's safety very seriously and our goal is for everyone to have a great time while maintaining a healthy and safe environment. We are known we going above and beyond what is required by USAT at our events. To ensure a safe course for everyone please make sure you always pay attention to where you are walking and always listen to instructions provided by the course officials, race staff, volunteers, and event security. Even if the rationale for the instructions provided by our race crew and/or volunteers are not immediately apparent to you, our crew maintains a top-level view of the event as a whole so we can maintain course safety.
USA TRIATHLON EVENT RULES
Click here to see the complete USAT competitive rules list. For youth events there are several variations to the competitive rules. We've put together a list of those on the rules page of the event website, http://www.typhoontexaskidstri.com/rules/.
In this section we'll include some of the rules listed that may result in disqualification or time penalties but please note that this is not a complete list just some of the highlights. For the complete list please check out the two links above.
GENERAL RACE RULES
- Unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of the participants or their parents and supporters will not be allowed. Participants must treat others with courtesy and respect. No rude, abusive, or discourteous language or behavior will be tolerated. Any violations to this may result in disqualification of the participant even if the participant was not directly involved.
- Participants must complete the prescribed course in its entirety.
- No personal audio devices or headsets may be used or carried during any portion of the event.
- No unauthorized assistance of any kind is allowed. Parents or other non-participants may not run or ride a bicycle with the participant nor may they provide participants any food, fluid, or equipment during the competition.
- Race numbers must be displayed at all times.
- No flotation devices of any kind may be used.
- No artificial propulsive devices such as fins, paddles, or gloves may be used.
- Goggles or face masks may be worn but are not required.
- Swimmers must wear the assigned swim cap throughout the swim.
- Participants must follow instructions given by lifeguards and officials including prohibitions again running on the pool deck or diving in restricted areas.
- The transition area is open only to participants and ONE parent. When transition closes for competition, only participants and race officials may enter transition. Finishers may not retrieve their gear until cleared by event staff.
- Competition apparel (shoes, socks, and shirts) must be placed next to the bicycle rack in the designated location.
- Bicycles must be placed in the rack according to directions given by race officials.
- Participants may not interfere with other participants' gear.
- No riding bicycles in transition. Participants must walk or run with the bicycles and may not mount until out of the transition area in the designated mount zone.
- EVENT-SPECIFIC RULE: All athletes must claim their bikes no later than 10:30am on the day of the event. All unclaimed bikes may be left unguarded starting at 10:30am.
BICYCLE EQUIPMENT RULES
- The bicycle must be road worthy and in safe operating condition.
- All bicycles must have two wheels, no training wheel allowed.
- The bicycle may be on-road, off-road, or youth style bike, no recumbent bicycles are allowed.
- No aero or time trial bars may be attached to the bike or used during competition.
- No disk wheels or wheel covers are allowed.
- Race officials reserve the right to disallow any bicycle deemed unsafe.
- Cyclists must wear a helmet approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission for road cyclists age 5 and older. No time trial, "chrono", or "aero" helmets with a tail may be used.
- The helmet must be securely fastened prior to mounting the bicycle and must be worn at all times while riding the bike.
- Shoes must be worn while cycling.
- Race officials may remove and/or disqualify any cyclist who appears to ride or behave in an unsafe manner.
- Participants shall run or walk the entire course.
- Participants must where shoes at all times while on the run course.
Thank you again for your support and we hope to see you at the Race Site Walk-Through and Course Q&A on Saturday.
PS - There's still time to earn registration refund through our referral program.